nanog mailing list archives

Re: Purchased IPv4 Woes

From: Baldur Norddahl <baldur.norddahl () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2017 18:53:46 +0100

Den 12/03/2017 kl. 18.14 skrev Brielle Bruns:
http == TCP
DNS == (usually) UDP

Big difference here. One requires a three way handshake tearup/teardown, the other does not.

It is not an apples to apples comparison.

You can replicate (download) the whole WHOIS if you need to. There is also no requirement that removal from reputation lists is instant. We would be good if it happened just within a month or even half a year. The situation now is however that you will never have it removed and many reputation services will ignore you if try to contact them for manual removal.

At least in the RIPE managed space there IS a reliable way to know for sure who owns a block. Can you know that the new owner is any better than the old? Of course not, but that is true even for "fresh" address space.

I am not a fan of reputation services that blacklist forever. It is just wrong and open for abuse of power. But not much I can do about that other than not using their service.

Regards,

Baldur