nanog mailing list archives

Re: Companies using public IP space owned by others for internal routing

From: Mark Andrews <marka () isc org>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2017 13:34:38 +1100

On 18 Dec 2017, at 1:20 pm, Robert Webb <rwebb () ropeguru com> wrote:

Apologies for not responding sooner.

This came to light with me on a forum where someone posted that they thought it strange that their MTA received an IP
that is assigned to the DoD DNIC.

Where I work I have the opposite issue. They have a lot of public IPv4 space and only use it internally never be
advertised to the internet. Something I have never agreed
With doing.

Robert

Why?  This is a perfectly legitimate use of the IP addresses.  The purpose of assigning addresses is so that they are
unique WORLD WIDE in whatever context you wish to use them in.

Mark