nanog mailing list archives

RE: Companies using public IP space owned by others for internal routing

From: Robert Webb <rwebb () ropeguru com>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2017 02:49:45 +0000

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Andrews [mailto:marka () isc org]
Sent: Sunday, December 17, 2017 9:35 PM
To: Robert Webb <rwebb () ropeguru com>
Cc: Richard Porter <richard () pedantictheory com>; nanog () nanog org
Subject: Re: Companies using public IP space owned by others for internal
routing

On 18 Dec 2017, at 1:20 pm, Robert Webb <rwebb () ropeguru com> wrote:

Apologies for not responding sooner.

This came to light with me on a forum where someone posted that they
thought it strange that their MTA received an IP that is assigned to the DoD
DNIC.

Where I work I have the opposite issue. They have a lot of public IPv4
space and only use it internally never be advertised to the internet.
Something I have never agreed With doing.

Robert

Why?  This is a perfectly legitimate use of the IP addresses.  The purpose of
assigning addresses is so that they are unique WORLD WIDE in whatever
context you wish to use them in.

Mark

I going to guess you were talking about the use internally of public IP addresses..

But there are rules governing what to use where. So it is OK to hoard publicly addressable IPv4 IP's for internal
use that will never reach the outside world? No the way I have been taught.

Maybe I just lack that big picture..

Robert