nanog mailing list archives

Re: Novice sysadmins

From: Chuck Anderson <cra () WPI EDU>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2017 14:58:37 -0500

On Wed, Dec 06, 2017 at 02:18:07PM -0500, Harald Koch wrote:
On 6 December 2017 at 13:51, Stephen Satchell <list () satchell net> wrote:

What professional engineers you mentioned do can kill people.  I have yet
to hear of anyone dying from a sysadmin or netadmin screwing up.

Oh c'mon. Now you're being deliberately obtuse.

I work IT for a hospital. Everything I do has the potential to affect
patient safety, and we do have documented cases of patients dying from IT
mishaps.

Perhaps do your research before spouting off more of these unsubstantiated
claims?

Like the famous case of the Therac-25 machine.  Programmers, not sysadmins, but same idea.