nanog mailing list archives

Re: Novice sysadmins (was: Suggestions for a more privacy conscious email provider)

From: William Herrin <bill () herrin us>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2017 14:31:59 -0500

On Tue, Dec 5, 2017 at 9:49 AM, Stephen Satchell <list () satchell net> wrote:

 the Internet as we know it was developed under the stern eyes of the
Department of Defense and the National Science Foundation. The NSF in
particular ran the 'Net like bouncers do in a strip club: you break the
rules, you go.  No argument.

The original trust model for the Internet was based on this unrelenting
oversight.  You didn't expect Bad Things(tm) because the consequences of
doing them was so severe:  banishment and exile.

Hi Stephen,

Granted I was a late arrival in 1991, but I don't recall much in the way of
oversight... or banishment.

I do recall that the '88 Morris worm resulted in 400 hours of community
service and a tenured professorship at MIT. I suppose the latter could be
considered a severe consequence.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William Herrin ................ herrin () dirtside com  bill () herrin us
Dirtside Systems ......... Web: <http://www.dirtside.com/>