nanog mailing list archives

Re: Request for comment -- BCP38

From: Hugo Slabbert <hugo () slabnet com>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2016 09:37:05 -0700

On Mon 2016-Sep-26 12:25:58 -0400, John R. Levine <johnl () iecc com> wrote:

I gather the usual customer response to this is "if you don't want our
$50K/mo, I'm sure we can find another ISP who does."

I myself am talking about the latter and included the option of PI space to cover that (although I guess at some point this can be made fly with PA space from another provider if both providers are willing enough to play ball), though from the $50/mo figure John listed, I'm assuming he's talking about the latter.

Who said $50/mo?

Apparently I need even more caffeine that I first imagined...

If we're talking about networks with that kind of MRC, is it really that far of a stretch to require PI space for this? Then again: If we're talking about that kind of MRC, then I'm assuming ISP A can be coaxed to allow explicit and well-defined exceptions on the customer's links.

This discussion started wrt to COTS dual-ISP routers though, as mentioned in Ken Chase's message, no? Where I'm assuming we're talking about mom-and-pop operations rather than a $50K/mo business account.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl () iecc com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",

--
Hugo Slabbert       | email, xmpp/jabber: hugo () slabnet com
pgp key: B178313E   | also on Signal