nanog mailing list archives

Re: Request for comment -- BCP38

From: Paul Ferguson <fergdawgster () mykolab com>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2016 07:58:39 -0700

On Sep 26, 2016, at 7:47 AM, Stephen Satchell <list () satchell net> wrote:

On 09/26/2016 07:11 AM, Paul Ferguson wrote:
No -- BCP38 only prescribes filtering outbound to ensure that no
packets leave your network with IP source addresses which are not
from within your legitimate allocation.

So, to beat that horse to a fare-thee-well, to be BCP38 compliant I need, on every interface sending packets out to
the internet, to block any source address matching a subnet in the BOGON list OR not matching any of my routeable
network subnets?  Plus add null-route entries for all the BOGONs in my routing table so I don't send a bad
destination packet to my upstream?

BCP38 only provides for disallowing spoofed packets into the Internet. Any additional filtering against bosons, etc.,
are probably a good idea, just not including specifically in BCP38.

- ferg

—
Paul Ferguson
ICEBRG.io