nanog mailing list archives

Re: "Defensive" BGP hijacking?

From: Mel Beckman <mel () beckman org>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2016 14:51:53 +0000

Scott and Doug,

The problem with a new automated enforcement system is that it hobbles both agility and innovation. ISPs have enjoyed
simple BGP management, entirely self-regulated, for decades. A global enforcement system, besides being dang hard to do
correctly, brings the specter of government interference, since such a system could be overtaken by government entities
to manhandle free speech.

In my opinion, the community hasn't spent nearly enough time discussing the danger aspect. Being engineers, we focus on
technical means, ignoring the fact that we're designing our own guillotine.

 -mel beckman