nanog mailing list archives

Re: Cogent - Google - HE Fun

From: Mark Tinka <mark.tinka () seacom mu>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2016 20:43:22 +0200

On 16/Mar/16 17:41, Christopher Morrow wrote:

my guess is the same as Owen's ... 'your rfq don't mean squat'.
honestly it's not like people don't ask their cogent sales folk for
this sort of thing, it's just not cogent's (clearly, given how long
the HE/Cogent thing along has persisted) way of doing things.

Sometimes your belief system just isn't theirs.

The first time I considered buying from Cogent was out of One Wilshire,
back in 2010. I did a 1-month PoC with them.

The global IPv6 BGP table was around 2,500 routes then. Cogent had only
100 or so, IIRC. I told them I would not sign with them due to this.

Fast-forward to 2012, nothing much had changed when they tried to get me
to buy from them again (out of London, this time), and I told them why.
Then in 2014, they tracked me down again and confirmed they then had a
full IPv6 BGP table. So I added them to my network (out of Amsterdam).

Cogent form part of the 7x upstreams I have (not to mention all the
peering we do). So if they de-peer some network, we aren't stuck. I have
them on my network because they add value to some paths on the Internet,
and not because of price.

I'm one guy, so I can't say whether my actions over the years prompted a
warm body within the Cogent machine to rethink their IPv6 strategy. But
I think if you refuse to buy from them on principles that matter to you,
and you tell them why, it could help. If it doesn't, move on - it won't
be your loss.

I would, though, say that the amount of support this list is giving
Cogent to keep their heart beating is astounding. If there was ever a
time for them to listen to their environment, this would be it. But alas...

Mark.