nanog mailing list archives

Re: IP and Optical domains?

From: Mark Tinka <mark.tinka () seacom mu>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2016 08:27:13 +0200

On 20/Jun/16 22:38, Masataka Ohta wrote:

I don't deny L2 exist, though, if L3 protocols were properly
designed, L2 protection is not required.

I'd like to hear your proposals on how Layer 3 protocols can be better
designed to manage transport characteristics.

That's L1, which is also required to exist.

It's Layer 1 and Layer 2. Ethernet is running over those optics, albeit
with no "traditional" optical equipment in between.

So, you deny the original point of "The result of this is that the
networks are heavily underutilized". OK.

Under- or over-utilization means different things to different people.

We upgrade at 50% utilization. Others do it at 70% utilization. Others
do it at 100% utilization. Heck, I know some that do it at 40% utilization.

Since not all operations are the same, I can't tell another person what
I think under- or over-utilization is.

Mark.