nanog mailing list archives

Re: NANOG67 - Tipping point of community and sponsor bashing?

From: Ca By <cb.list6 () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2016 20:24:04 -0700

On Wednesday, June 15, 2016, Seth Mattinen <sethm () rollernet us> wrote:

On 6/15/16 4:03 PM, Bill Woodcock wrote:

There’s a difference between the cost and the product.  As regards the
cost, Arnold is exactly right.  Across the many hundreds of exchanges that
we’ve worked with over the past 22 years, our observation has been that, at
a rough average, most IXPs spend 45% of their first-year effort on location
selection, 45% on governance definition and establishment, and 10% on
technical decisions and implementation.  But the total effort and the
governance portion both increase drastically for those that choose to
handle money; at a very, very rough average, about four-fold.  In
subsequent years, location selection generally drops away to near zero,
except in cases like the JINX, and technical work dips for the first couple
of years, and then spikes once every three years or so as switches are
replaced and new configs are needed.  Many exchanges have an annual
in-person meeting where elections are conducted and policy changes
ratified, so that typically becomes the largest ongoing expense, as Arnold
implies.

Why do IXes seek to create a bureaucracy that needs to be fed increasing
sums of money?

~Seth

Cough cough ARIN cough. I don't know why they need to meet face to face 2
or 3 times a year. But, i am sure ppml will tell you it is a ground up
process and these people on ppml like traveling and talking about
policy.... And they do what members want.

Much of our industry can be gleened by googling pictures of "peering
cruise". At my office, we joke about that a lot. Peering cruise ...jeeshhh.

I can't recommend SIX enough. Epic IX, amazing support.  I get much better
support from SIX than any of my transit providers. Amazing support.

I also like sfmix and fl-ix.