nanog mailing list archives

Re: Monitoring system recommendation

From: Jeff Gehlbach <jeffg () opennms org>
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2016 12:00:20 -0400

On Mon, Jun 6, 2016, at 09:18, Manuel Marín wrote:

5000 hosts and 35000 services. We would like to use a monitoring
system that is compatible with the nagios plugin format, however we
are not sure if systems like Icinga/Shinken/Op5 are the way to go.

At that kind of scale, you need to take a serious look at moving away from the Nagios plugin model. Any model based primarily on forking
external processes is going to hold you back.

Is someone using systems like Op5 or Icinga2 for monitoring > 5000
hosts?

This kind of scale is easily achieved with OpenNMS with appropriate hardware and planning, largely because it does everything in-process. We do offer limited support for NRPE as a transitional mechanism. Disclosure: I get paid to work with OpenNMS in a consulting capacity.

Would you recommend commercial systems like Sevone, Zabbix, etc
instead of open source ones?

Zabbix is open source. I know some of their team and would recommend putting them on your list.

I also know a number of brilliant people who work for SevOne, but I don't know much about their product.

-jeff