nanog mailing list archives

RE: Netflix VPN detection - actual engineer needed

From: Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike () swm pp se>
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2016 17:16:36 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 6 Jun 2016, Matthew Huff wrote:

You can argue about the content provides business model all you want, but Netflix has to do what they are doing. They aren't blocking IPv6 users, they are blocking users that are using VPNs and/or tunnels since their currently is no practical way of providing GEOIP information about that users that the content providers require.

See my earlier email.

My billing address is in Sweden. My IPv4 address GEOIPs to Sweden. My IPv6 tunnel GEOIPs to Sweden. I am not trying to circumvent ANYTHING, I am trying to watch content available to swedish users.

Still, Netflix is blocking my HE IPv6 tunnel, it seems mostly just lazy-blocking all HE prefixes instead of actually writing some intelligent code to try to find the people that are trying to circumvent the geographical limitations imposed by content owners.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike () swm pp se