nanog mailing list archives

Re: Netflix VPN detection - actual engineer needed

From: Mark Felder <feld () feld me>
Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2016 17:56:55 -0500

On Sun, Jun 5, 2016, at 17:18, Matt Freitag wrote:
While it is damaging negative publicity it also makes sense. HE's tunnel
service amounts to a free VPN that happens to provide IPv6. I would love
for someone from HE to jump in and explain better how their tunnel works,
why it's been blocked by Netflix, and what (if anything) they are doing
mitigate it.

For my part, I also found that my HE tunnel no longer worked with Netflix
because, again, it amounts to a free VPN service. I had to shut it off.

However, I did discover that my ISP Charter Communications runs a 6rd
tunnel service for their customers and enabled that on my router instead.
Here are the settings I put in my ASUS router, taken off of a Tomato
router
firmware forum post:

DHCP Option: Disable
IPv6 Prefix: 2602:100::
IPv6 Prefix Length: 32
IPv4 Border Router: 68.114.165.1
IPv4 Router Mask Length: 0

I'm also using an MTU of 1480 and a Tunnel TTL of 255.

Works great, though I imagine it'll only work for other Charter customers
who don't care what prefix they get assigned as Charter uses prefix
delegation to make this work.

That's funny because I tried to switch back to my Charter 6rd tunnel to
solve this and found even worse results. I stopped using Charter's 6rd
because it was terrible (latency mostly) but I was surprised to find
Netflix to be broken, not blocked. In my browser none of the static
elements load after I'm logged in. I pretty much get a black page. It's
not an MTU problem either...

Note, I'm on FreeBSD which doesn't support 6rd completely (there's an
uncommitted stf(4) driver with 6rd support by hrs@ but it was broken
last I checked). Using just a gif tunnel works but I can't contact any
IPs on 2602:100::/32, which is fine because I don't have a reason to
talk directly to any Charter 6rd tunnel users.

--
  Mark Felder
  feld () feld me