nanog mailing list archives

Re: Netflix VPN detection - actual engineer needed

From: Mark Felder <feld () feld me>
Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2016 18:03:41 -0500

On Fri, Jun 3, 2016, at 17:30, Naslund, Steve wrote:

I guarantee you that Apple does not know where my Apple TV units or any
of my Sony TVs are because they are on hard Ethernet cables with WiFi
disabled so if they told the lawyers that, they lied.

I woud not be surprised if Apple wakes up the wifi occasionally to
listen/scan for SSIDs on non-iPhone devices where there's no worry of
impacting battery usage. Just because you don't intend to pass traffic
on it does not mean the OS doesn't have a valid use for it.

--
  Mark Felder
  feld () feld me