nanog mailing list archives

Re: de-peering for security sake

From: Dan Hollis <goemon () sasami anime net>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2016 13:15:36 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 17 Jan 2016, Doug Barton wrote:
On 1/17/2016 12:44 PM, bzs () theworld com wrote:
We need an effective forum with effective participation perhaps
eventually leading to signed contractual obligations agreed to by all
parties.
Not gonna help. The same people who have no incentive to do the right thing now will still have no incentive to join the group you propose.

I've said it before, and it's an unpopular option, but the only way that this will change is to make it more expensive to do the wrong thing than it is to do the right thing.

I think it can happen without lawsuits. look at RBLs and spamhaus. a bit sad that spamhaus has to exist in order to motivate operators to clean up their cesspools, but it does work to a certain extent.

-Dan