nanog mailing list archives

Re: de-peering for security sake

From: Doug Barton <dougb () dougbarton us>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2016 13:09:15 -0800

On 1/17/2016 12:44 PM, bzs () theworld com wrote:
We need an effective forum with effective participation perhaps
eventually leading to signed contractual obligations agreed to by all
parties.

Not gonna help. The same people who have no incentive to do the right thing now will still have no incentive to join the group you propose.

I've said it before, and it's an unpopular option, but the only way that this will change is to make it more expensive to do the wrong thing than it is to do the right thing. That means lawsuits filed by companies that have been harmed as a result of those that are not doing the right thing. That will produce the incentives which will be recognized and understood by all layers of management, and result in real action for the better.

As nice as it would be if everyone were to do the right thing because it's the right thing, we already have ample evidence that won't happen. Time to stop pretending otherwise.

Doug