nanog mailing list archives

Re: phone fun, was GeoIP database issues and the real world consequences

From: Larry Sheldon <larrysheldon () cox net>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2016 18:28:07 -0500

On 4/13/2016 15:12, Owen DeLong wrote:

I guarantee you that many, if not most at this point, of those
numbers are no longer actually handled by that switch most of the
time.

I suspect that there are more SS7 exceptions than default within that
particular prefix which is why I chose it.

I question whether (on a global scale) the odds are above 50-50 that a number (other than a test line) is served by the switch NANPA associates with the number.

I am in frequent contact by a person that has a 917 NNX-XXXX-numbered telephone who spends a lot of time with a person that has a 408 NNX-XXXX-numbered telephone, and they both live in Metropolitan Boston

The number I offer as my "home" telephone number "belongs" to a CO in a town 11 miles south of here and is not switched by the company that "owns" it.

Knowing a telephone number or an IP address means that on a good day, you know how to make a connection with an instrument associated with it. Which may well be in the possession of Mrs. Calabash.
--
sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes? (Juvenal)