nanog mailing list archives

Re: GeoIP database issues and the real world consequences

From: Steve Atkins <steve () blighty com>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2016 10:26:36 -0700

On Apr 11, 2016, at 10:11 AM, Hugo Slabbert <hugo () slabnet com> wrote:

On Mon 2016-Apr-11 13:02:14 -0400, Ken Chase <math () sizone org> wrote:

TL;DR: GeoIP put unknown IP location mappings to the 'center of the country'
but then rounded off the lat long so it points at this farm.

Cant believe law enforcement is using this kind of info to execute searches.
Wouldnt that undermine the credibility of any evidence brought up in trials
for any geoip locates?

Seems to me locating unknowns somewhere in the middle of a big lake or park in
the center of the country might be a better idea.

...how about actually marking an unknown as...oh, I dunno: "unknown"?  Is there no analogue in the GeoIP lookups for
a 404?

It's not unknown - it's (according to the DB, anyway, which has a bunch of flaws) "in the US somewhere".

The problem with MaxMind (and other geoip databases I've seen that do Lat/Long as well as Country / State / Town) is
that the data doesn't include uncertainty, so it returns "38.0/-97.0" rather than "somewhere in a 3000 mile radius
circle centered on 38.0/-97.0".

Someone should show them RFC 1876 as an example of better practice.

Cheers,
  Steve