nanog mailing list archives

Re: IGP choice

From: thomas nanog <thomas.nanog () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2015 16:59:30 -0400

You still have separate tables for IPv4 and IPv6 with isis and
multi-topology still runs 2 spf calculations.

On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 4:05 PM, <A.L.M.Buxey () lboro ac uk> wrote:

Hi,

The differences between the two protocols are so small, that people
really grasp at straws when 'proving' that one is better over the
other. 'IS-IS doesn't work over IP, so its more secure'. 'IS-IS uses
TLVs so new features are quicker to implement'. While these may be
vaguely valid arguments, they don't hold much water. If you don't
secure your routers to bad actors forming OSPF adjacencies with you,
you're doing something wrong.Who is running code that is so bleeding
edge that feature X might be available for IS-IS, but not OSPF?

well, bleeding edge fearures in ISIS would also depend on your vendor...
ours seems backwards for ISIS in most of their product line and
we're always wanting more.... heck, I think they've even tried to ensure
its not in
their training courses either...just the briefest of mentions  :/

as for IGP -   ISIS - we moved to it from OSPF because we didnt want
2 seperate routing calculations and tables being kept for IPv4 and IPv6 and
all routing config is under the one routing protocol.

alan