nanog mailing list archives

RE: How to force rapid ipv6 adoption

From: "Tony Wicks" <tony () wicks co nz>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2015 13:45:22 +1300

That sounds like only using 6to4 addresses until the entire internet
supports IPv6.
Unfortunately there were NEVER enough IPv4 addresses to actually do that.
We
were effectively out of IPv4 addresses before we started.

People tend to forget that TCP/IP was not the only routing protocol out
there all those years ago. What if OSI or one of the others had prospered
instead ? IPv4 kind of morphed into the Internet as we know it more it more
from good luck than good planning I would say. Things could have been a lot
worse !

To name a few - IPX, X25, Banyan Vines, DECnet and even Appletalk! Ovbiously
many of these could not grow into the "internet" but.....