nanog mailing list archives

Re: /27 the new /24

From: joel jaeggli <joelja () bogus com>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2015 07:33:42 -0700

On 10/12/15 1:57 AM, Henrik Thostrup Jensen wrote:
On Fri, 9 Oct 2015, Jeremy Austin wrote:

Juneau, I'm not so surprised; how many other cities that small and
isolated
have IXes? I'm curious. It's an interesting prospect, at least for some
value of $location.

Several small cities in Sweden have IXes. Not sure than any of them are
quite as small as Juneau, but some (Borås, Luleå, Sundsvall) are sub
100k people, and other cities (Umeå, Uppsala) are just over 100k
inhabitants. Umeå and Luleå are releativly isolated - at least by
European standards.

Most of these are probably just a switch or two, and are probably there
to provide better quality of service, and not because it makes for a
good business.

Sweden's  IX infrastructure is not entirely unique but are certainly
borne out of a particular set of circumstances and public private
partnerships that  don't generally exist elsewhere.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netnod

    Best regards, Henrik

 Henrik Thostrup Jensen <htj at nordu.net>
 Software Developer, NORDUnet