nanog mailing list archives

Re: How to force rapid ipv6 adoption

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2015 13:44:46 -0700

On Oct 1, 2015, at 12:06 , Curtis Maurand <cmaurand () xyonet com> wrote:

On 10/1/2015 2:29 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:
On Oct 1, 2015, at 00:39 , Baldur Norddahl <baldur.norddahl () gmail com> wrote:

On 1 October 2015 at 03:26, Mark Andrews <marka () isc org> wrote:

Windows XP does IPv6 fine so long as there is a IPv4 recursive
server available.  It's just a simple command to install IPv6.

       netsh interface ipv6 install

If the customer knew how to do that he wouldn't still be using Windows XP.

Actually I don't expect Gmail and Facebook to be IPv4 only forever.

Gmail and Facebook are already dual stack enabled. But I do not see
Facebook turning off IPv4 for a very long time. Therefore a customer that
only uses the Internet for a few basic things will be able to get along
with being IPv4-only for a very long time.

Yes and no…

I think you are right about facebook.

However, I think eventually the residential ISPs are going to start charging extra
for IPv4 service. Some residences may pay for it initially, but if they think there’s a
way to move away from it and the ISPs start fingerpointing to the specific laggards,
you’ll see a groundswell of consumers pushing to find alternatives.

Owen

ipv6 is going to force a lot of consumers to replace hardware. Worse, it's not easy to set up and get right as ipv4
is.

--Curtis

You’re going to have to elaborate on that one…. I think IPv6 is actually quite a bit easier than IPv4, so please
explicate
in what ways it is harder to set up and get right?

For the average household, it’s plug the IPv6-capable router in and let it go.

For more advanced environments, it might take nearly as much effort as IPv4 and the unfamiliarity might add a couple
of additional challenges the first time, but once you get past that, IPv6 has a lot of features that actually make it
easier than IPv4.

Not having to deal with NAT being just one of the big ones.

Owen