nanog mailing list archives

Re: Verizon Policy Statement on Net Neutrality

From: Jack Bates <jbates () paradoxnetworks net>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2015 19:33:00 -0600

On 2/28/2015 7:24 PM, Stephen Satchell wrote:
How did I know about the DNS server manipulation?  I worked for a Web
hosting company with about 3,000 domains being served.  Whenever the
company renumbered (until it finally got its own IP allocation in order
to multi-home) we would have to service the old addresses and new
addresses for a week.  When the cable DNS servers finally aged out the
old addresses, we could shut down the old ones.  Royal admin pain in the
neck.

Actually, until Windows 98 finally died (perhaps ME?), I always did at least a week as windows 98 did not expire its local cache. Things were usually good after a week because windows 98 boxes tended to crash by then. I still allow several days for moves between servers, though. Never know what people are doing that they shouldn't.:)

Jack