nanog mailing list archives

Re: Residential VSAT experiences?

From: Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon () orthanc ca>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2015 18:01:54 -0700

On Jun 22, 2015, at 5:27 PM, Scott Weeks <surfer () mauigateway com> wrote:

I do SSH over geostationary satellite links (C-band) all
the time.  I'd say it's slow, but not excruciating, unless
you type really fast on the network device's CLI.  :-)

SSH client/server authors would do well to learn the lessons of telnet line mode.

As would authors of 'interactive' command line applications.  The NVT concept is still useful in this day and age, far
beyond the LA36. (I.e., if the termcap entry says 'dumb', honour it. There is a damn good reason we are saying 'turn
off the bling'.)

--lyndon