nanog mailing list archives

Re: Dual stack IPv6 for IPv4 depletion

From: Baldur Norddahl <baldur.norddahl () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2015 14:53:14 +0200

On 9 July 2015 at 13:25, Mark Tinka <mark.tinka () seacom mu> wrote:

I suppose the issue will become "more real" when you can't get any IPv4
space period.

Mark.

That will never happen. If you offer me $1000 per IPv4, then I will happily
terminate some user contracts and sell their IP space to you...

In fact it will never become even that expensive. With a marked price of
$10 I am buying IP space for customers as needed and I will include free
space in the contracts. If the price went to $100 I would tell all users
that they need to pay monthly rent for their IP or alternative, the user
would have to accept carrier NAT in some form. And then I would proceed to
buy a new house for the money I make by selling address space.

There is a ton of address space that is inefficient used. We will be able
to buy excess from companies that "create" space by optimizing their
existing space. There is a reason we have not seen any rise in the price
even after multiple years with depletion in large parts of the world.

Regards,

Baldur