nanog mailing list archives

Re: Working with Spamhaus

From: Suresh Ramasubramanian <ops.lists () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2015 11:42:19 -0700

Er - a couple of ways

1. If you run a farm of mail servers, something like splunk for your logs is kind of necessary.  How difficult is it
going to be to trigger a splunk alert on whatever looks like an administrative block?  Either by a large provider, or
by a DNS block list.

2. You can rsync spamhaus and grep for mentions of your ASN, get ISP feedback loops etc.

On a larger topic - NANOG and M3AAWG (also RIPE and M3AAWG’s summer meeting in Europe) really ought to collocate or at
least be back to back in the same city somewhere down the line - maybe with a day’s worth of joint sessions on topics
of mutual interest (malware detection and mitigation, DDoS filtering .. there’s a lot going on in M3AAWG that’s not
plain old mail or even messaging)

It still won’t solve the larger problem that a lot of routing and DNS folks won’t find it of interest, but well, over
the decade ++ I’ve been around M3AAWG I see an ever increasing number of (security focused, mainly) *nog regulars turn
up there.

—srs