nanog mailing list archives

Re: whois server features

From: shawn wilson <ag4ve.us () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2015 14:47:47 -0500

On Wed, Jan 7, 2015 at 1:53 PM, Bill Woodcock <woody () pch net> wrote:

On Jan 7, 2015, at 10:38 AM, shawn wilson <ag4ve.us () gmail com> wrote:

Is there a list of NIC (and other popular whois server) features (what
can be searched on) and what data they provide (and what title they
give it)?

Heh, heh, heh.  There are just about as many whois output formats as there are back-end data-stores.  Note that I say
“data-stores” rather than databases.  Some of them aren’t.  So when you say “title” I assume you’re referring to half
of a key-value pair.  A concept some large whois sources don’t have.

Yes, I'm referring to mapping between key names.

So, you’re not running into a poorly-documented mystery, you’ve run afoul of one of the rotten armpits of the
shub-Internet.

So there's no consensus between NICs for the information they should
have in whois and what search mechanisms they should provide? I guess
what you're saying is that whois is just a protocol definition and
nothing else?