nanog mailing list archives

Re: whois server features

From: Bill Woodcock <woody () pch net>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2015 10:53:46 -0800

On Jan 7, 2015, at 10:38 AM, shawn wilson <ag4ve.us () gmail com> wrote:

Is there a list of NIC (and other popular whois server) features (what
can be searched on) and what data they provide (and what title they
give it)?

Heh, heh, heh.  There are just about as many whois output formats as there are back-end data-stores.  Note that I say
“data-stores” rather than databases.  Some of them aren’t.  So when you say “title” I assume you’re referring to half
of a key-value pair.  A concept some large whois sources don’t have.

So, you’re not running into a poorly-documented mystery, you’ve run afoul of one of the rotten armpits of the
shub-Internet.

                                -Bill