nanog mailing list archives

Re: MPLS VPN design - RR in forwarding path?

From: Mark Tinka <mark.tinka () seacom mu>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2015 20:22:17 +0200

On Thursday, January 01, 2015 11:25:24 PM Tony Varriale
wrote:

Most vendors today have the performance numbers
(sometimes they aren't published publically) for routers
acting as RRs.  Ask your vendor and pick one that suits
you.  We generally buy the middle or most memory and
pick a reasonable processor.  And, then we monitor :)

With the major vendors now offering VM-based RR's, I'd
discourage using routers as RR's just for pure long-term
scale.

As for peer groups, you should have a design that allows
you to herd most of the config snips together.  Use the
features that make your life easier and allow you to
simplify your routing policies.

Suffice it to say that the Peer Group functionality in IOS
and IOS XE has largely been replaced by Update Groups. We
use peer and session templates, but really, as with Peer
Groups in 2015, it's just to keep things neat and tidy.

Junos, of course, has its way forever which still works
nicely.

Mark.