nanog mailing list archives

Re: MPLS VPN design - RR in forwarding path?

From: Mark Tinka <mark.tinka () seacom mu>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2015 20:24:05 +0200

On Thursday, January 01, 2015 11:37:25 PM Baldur Norddahl
wrote:

Is there a good reason to use actual router hardware for
the route reflector role?

Nope.

It used to be code maturity - but major vendors are
supporting service-grade code on VM's.

Even a cheap server has more
CPU and memory. If it is not in the forwarding path,
this is a computing task - not a move  packets  at line
speed task.

Agree.

Are anyone using Bird, Quagga etc. for this?

Wish I could - to be honest, these don't give me enough
comfort for a production network.

We use Quagga on FreeBSD for Anycast-this-&-that - from that
experience, I'd not use it for backbone routing. YMMV.

Mark.