nanog mailing list archives

Re: DDOS solution recommendation

From: Mark Andrews <marka () isc org>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2015 12:42:00 +1100

In message <54B31BBE.3000502 () tnetconsulting net>, Grant Taylor writes:
On 01/11/2015 03:22 PM, Mike Hammett wrote:
I know that UDP can be spoofed, but it's not likely that the SSH,
mail, etc. login attempts, web page hits, etc. would be spoofed as
they'd have to know the response to be of any good.

I encourage you to investigate "Triangular Spamming".
(http://www.cs.ucr.edu/~zhiyunq/pub/oakland10_triangular_spamming.pdf)
The "Triangular..." technique does specifically that, allow the attacker
to "...know the responses...".

In short, the bot receives the reply to the spoofed source IP and
forwards information on to the attacker so that it can continue the
conversation.  In effect, three parties are having a one way
conversation in a ring.

Just because you can only identify one of the two remotes doesn't
mean that you can't report the addresses.  It is involved in the
communication stream.

There's more going on than UDP spoofing\amplification. Frankly the
most damaging thing to me has been SMTP hijacking. For you to login
to my SMTP server and send e-mail out, there's going to be one hell
of a conversation going on.

Yes, there is what appears to you to be be a conversation going on.
However, the source of what you are hearing is not where you think it's
from.

Actually it is coming from where you think it is coming from, just not
directly.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka () isc org