nanog mailing list archives

Re: DDOS solution recommendation

From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor () tnetconsulting net>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2015 18:56:30 -0600

On 01/11/2015 03:22 PM, Mike Hammett wrote:
I know that UDP can be spoofed, but it's not likely that the SSH,
mail, etc. login attempts, web page hits, etc. would be spoofed as
they'd have to know the response to be of any good.

I encourage you to investigate "Triangular Spamming". (http://www.cs.ucr.edu/~zhiyunq/pub/oakland10_triangular_spamming.pdf) The "Triangular..." technique does specifically that, allow the attacker to "...know the responses...".

In short, the bot receives the reply to the spoofed source IP and forwards information on to the attacker so that it can continue the conversation. In effect, three parties are having a one way conversation in a ring.

There's more going on than UDP spoofing\amplification. Frankly the
most damaging thing to me has been SMTP hijacking. For you to login
to my SMTP server and send e-mail out, there's going to be one hell
of a conversation going on.

Yes, there is what appears to you to be be a conversation going on. However, the source of what you are hearing is not where you think it's from.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die