nanog mailing list archives

Re: Checkpoint IPS

From: Terry Baranski <terry.baranski.list () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2015 14:26:07 -0500

On 6 Feb 2015, at 11:46,  Valdis Kletnieks wrote:

Count up the number of *actual* attacks they have stopped
that wouldn't have been stopped otherwise

Many.

and contrast it
to the number of times they've been used as the *basis* for
an attack (DDoS via state exhaustion, for starters)

Zero, on my networks.

or their failure has caused operational issues.

Zero, on my networks. Unless "operation issues" means traffic fails over
without a hitch.

Still think they're a good idea?

Yep. And thanks for asking.

If you can't deploy IPS's in such a way that they don't make your network
less secure via DDoS susceptibility, or reduce availability due to
non-existent or subpar redundancy/survivability engineering, then you
shouldn't deploy IPS's.

-Terry