nanog mailing list archives

Re: Low cost WDM gear

From: Mark Tinka <mark.tinka () seacom mu>
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2015 21:26:28 +0200

On 7/Feb/15 21:17, Phil Bedard wrote:
Is this for 10G?  I'm kind of assuming 10G. What kind of equipment is
being plugged into these?  300km is way beyond what you'll get with a
passive solution, it's definitely in the "long-haul" terrtory.  If you are
launching out of a router the best pluggable optic you can generally get
is rated at 80km, 10GBase-ZR, but even a passive mux at each end shaves
some of that distance off.

300km is going to require amplifiers at intervals across the span. Who is
providing the fiber?  I'd start talking to traditional transport vendors.
Ekinops as mentioned is probably decent at a lower price, Adva works well
and isn't all that expensive, even Cisco has gear reasonably priced.  If
you want to cover 300km on a fiber span though "cheap" isn't really a word
I would describe.  It's why people lease circuits. :)

Agree - US$500 (or thereabout) to cover 300km at a reasonable speed with
some reliability and manageability is a stretch (no pun intended).

Mark.