nanog mailing list archives

Re: de-peering for security sake

From: Daniel Corbe <dcorbe () hammerfiber com>
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2015 11:25:30 -0500

On Dec 25, 2015, at 9:18 AM, Mike Hammett <nanog () ics-il net> wrote:

To the thread, not necessarily Daniel, if blocking countries\continents is a bad thing (not saying I disagree), how
do you deal with the flood of trash? Just take it on the chin?

If you as an end user want to be the cyber-equivalent of a xenophobe because OMG BAD INTERNETS then be my guest.  On
the other hand, I’m a network operator so I don’t have the luxury of dictating to my users what they can and cannot
reach.

The degree of splash damage by blocking this way will vary based upon what kind of network you are. Residential
eyeballs? You could probably block most of a lot of things and people wouldn't notice or care, as long as it wasn't
Google, Facebook, Netflix, etc.

As a residential ISP with many first and second generation American immigrants in my service footprint I can assure you
this notion is patently false.  People will definitely notice and care if they can’t communicate with their relatives
and consume content in their home countries.

-----
Mike Hammett
Intelligent Computing Solutions
http://www.ics-il.com