nanog mailing list archives

Re: Scotland ccTLD?

From: Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 12:10:54 -0400 (EDT)

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Conrad" <drc () virtualized org>

Right. Similarly, .SU has been assigned. SU is a bit odd in the sense
that it was moved to “transitionally reserved” when the Soviet Union
broke up and a batch of new country codes were created (e.g., RU, UA,
etc.) and then, in 2007 (or so) it was moved from “transitionally
reserved” (which the ISO 3166 Maintenance Agency says “stop use ASAP”)
to “exceptionally reserved”. The .SU ccTLD is also a bit odd in that
it is the only code that does not (officially) have a nation-state
(and hence a legal framework) behind it. In practice, I believe it
falls under the Russian legal framework.

The European Union (holder of .eu) is not a nation-state either, is it?

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink                       jra () baylink com