nanog mailing list archives

Re: Scotland ccTLD?

From: David Conrad <drc () virtualized org>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2014 09:26:24 -0700

On Sep 16, 2014, at 8:45 AM, Rubens Kuhl <rubensk () gmail com> wrote:
Available s* include sf, sp, sq, su and sw.

SF (Finland, from “Suomi Finland”) is “transitionally reserved” meaning it is allocated but will be removed from the
allocated list “soon” (for some value of the variable “soon”). I believe the hold down timer for transitionally
reserved is something like 50 years now. As such, it’s not available.

SU is the Soviet Union, now classified as “exceptionally reserved” which IANA treats as available for assignment (other
exceptionally reserved codes are EU, UK, and AC).  Don’t get me started on why SU is exceptionally reserved instead of
transitionally reserved.

Regards,
-drc