nanog mailing list archives

Re: The Next Big Thing: Named-Data Networking

From: Barry Shein <bzs () world std com>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2014 13:41:44 -0400

Well, it's a good thing we have you around to keep us honest.

On September 8, 2014 at 07:37 mohta () necom830 hpcl titech ac jp (Masataka Ohta) wrote:
Barry Shein wrote:

Understand these were speaking notes and it was safe to assume the
audience basically understood DNS so it wasn't my intention to give an
exhaustive introduction to how DNS works.

Surprisingly many people who basically understand DNS have the
same misunderstanding as you, which is why some people believe
in NDN.

There also seems to be some splitting of hairs over the meaning of
"site" in your response. That is, some sort of physical boundary vs an
authoritative boundary.

Then, "site" based FQDN can not be used for scalable routing.

At any rate my proposal doesn't eliminate hierarchical addresses,

See above.

One could use the FQDNs themselves as hierarchical
addresses at least as an external representation.

You are trying to define something not usable for scalable
routing a hierarchical address, which is as bad as your
attempt to distort the definition of "site".

                                             Masataka Ohta

--
        -Barry Shein

The World              | bzs () TheWorld com           | http://www.TheWorld.com
Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 800-THE-WRLD        | Dial-Up: US, PR, Canada