nanog mailing list archives

Re: The Next Big Thing: Named-Data Networking

From: me <jschiel () flowtools net>
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2014 08:47:23 -0600

On 09/05/2014 08:40 AM, Paul Ferguson wrote:

On 9/5/2014 7:35 AM, Jay Ashworth wrote:

"Interface" sure.

But the dangers of replacing actual /addresses/ with things which
are not is sufficiently well understood that even Van Jacobson
ought to know about 'em, right? :-)

Compare & contrast: There is still large-scale resistance (for lack of
a better term) to IPv6 deployment, so what chance does deployment of
Named Data-Networking stand? :-)

- - ferg

This idea needs more simmer time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Named_data_networking

" Juno also introduces the concept of a delivery-centric interface, which extends the traditional content-centric interface to allow applications to stipulate multiple diverse delivery requirements that place certain constraints on how the content should be provided. For instance, these constraints can deal with such things as performance, resilience, security, monetary cost and anonymity."

Almost sounds like the perfect protocol to allow the combination Internet/content provider to keep all content coming from where they want the content to come from instead of the freedom to choose where the content comes from.

--John Schiel

On September 5, 2014 10:27:18 AM EDT, Paul Ferguson