nanog mailing list archives

Re: Linux: concerns over systemd adoption and Debian's decision to switch [OT]

From: Jeffrey Ollie <jeff () ocjtech us>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2014 10:12:55 -0500

On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 10:10 AM, Jim Mercer <jim () reptiles org> wrote:
On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 12:41:39AM -0400, Barry Shein wrote:
All those init.d scripts do about 95% the same thing, all hacked
together in shell. Most of them are probably just slightly edited
versions of some few paleo-scripts.

in FreeBSD, the bulk of the rc.d scripts are basically the same format,
inhaling a standardized library of functions, populating some variables,
maybe adding a few custom functions, then jumping to "main".

If all of the scripts are cut'n'paste copes of each other, wouldn't it
be better to figure out a way to stop cutting and pasting?  I can't
count the number of times I've run into problems with my code because
of that, never mind how many times it's happened in other people's
code.

--
Jeff Ollie