nanog mailing list archives

Re: ARIN / RIR Pragmatism (WAS: Re: RADB)

From: Danny McPherson <danny () tcb net>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2014 15:13:15 -0600

On 2014-10-23 15:02, Sandra Murphy wrote:
IRR usage, training, tools, and better hygiene, perhaps expressly validated from resource certification from either RPKI

You might be interested in the draft-ietf-sidr-rpsl-sig-05.txt, which
suggests using RPKI to protect RPSL objects.

Yep, I'm aware of that and think that's a really useful thing if RPKI is the resource certification infrastructure we must use.

That would help solve the trust problem in the current IRR world,
which is that most IRRs can't tell if the object being registered is
authorized.  RIPE and, I think, APNIC being the exception, for their
region resources.  Lots of proxy registered objects aren't a good
sign.

Agreed!

That said, if people are still having issues with IRRs and lack of training, toolsets, and usability around them today and after deploying RPKI they still need IRRs (and whois, and in-addr.arpa, and..) for a whole bunch of stuff just to keep the packets flowing then the height limit to do basic and useful things just became that much higher, and requires a lot more care and feeding then before RPKI (even absent all the architectural aspects of RPKI that are "interesting").

-danny