nanog mailing list archives

Re: Linux: concerns over systemd [OT]

From: Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 21:03:14 -0400 (EDT)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ricky Beam" <jfbeam () gmail com>

On Tue, 21 Oct 2014 18:29:44 -0400, Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com>
wrote:
The thing that I don't understand about systemd is how it managed to
get *EVERY SINGLE DISTRIBUTION'S RELEASE MANAGER* on board...

It's spelled "Red Hat". Add in GNOME and debian (et. al.) is backed into a
corner. Red Hat is soo f'ing big, pretty much every project under the sun
is going to stop maintaining scripts in favor of systemd.

GNOME is probably the linchpin.

But it's not just RH.  It's Debian, and by extension *buntu, and SuSE, and
at least one other major independent parent distro that I can't think of
just now...

And as far as I know, it's done; SuSE packages already largely don't even
include initscripts.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink                       jra () baylink com