nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 Default Allocation - What size allocation are you giving out

From: Roland Dobbins <rdobbins () arbor net>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2014 04:18:33 +0700

On Oct 10, 2014, at 4:13 AM, Baldur Norddahl <baldur.norddahl () gmail com> wrote:

My colleges wanted to completely drop using public IP addressing in the infrastructure.

Your colleagues are wrong.  Again, see RFC6752.

I am wondering if all the nay sayers would not agree that is it better to have a single public loopback address
shared between all my interfaces, than to go with private addressing completely?

This is a false dichotomy.

Because frankly, that is the alternative.

It isn't the only alternative.  The *optimal* alternative is to use publicly-routable link addresses, and then protect
your infrastructure using iACLs, GTSM, CoPP, et. al.

Roland Dobbins <rdobbins () arbor net> // <http://www.arbornetworks.com>

                   Equo ne credite, Teucri.

                          -- Laocoön