nanog mailing list archives

Re: A case against vendor-locking optical modules

From: Jérôme Nicolle <jerome () ceriz fr>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2014 01:02:42 +0100

Hello Patrick,

Le 18/11/2014 00:17, Patrick W. Gilmore a écrit :
You like Arista for price, density, etc.? Then factor in the cost
(OpEx & CapEx) of vendor-specific optics and see if they still make
sense. Don't just look at the per-port cost of the blade. See, it's a
simple business decision for you too.

You got my point : I do care about per-port cost, but the actual cost is
a composite of :
- kit price
- licences
- optics
- spare optics
- power per port over expected run time
- collocation space

Besides, what's wrong with using something (as Nick mentioned) like
FlexOptics programmable optics? Haven't tried it in Arista, but other
kit works fine.

Programmable optics are fine, but then you'd have to keep your
programming gear available and train your techniciens on it, or keep
pre-coded spares for every locked manufacturers.

It's probably fine in a pure DC environment with few locations and only
one SFP+ type, but it's rapidly a total mess when you have to manage 40
channels for 3 module types over dozens of locations AND the added
manufacturer specific pain-in-the-ass.

--
Jérôme Nicolle
+33 6 19 31 27 14