nanog mailing list archives

Re: Reporting DDOS reflection attacks

From: Miles Fidelman <mfidelman () meetinghouse net>
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2014 08:50:15 -0500

I can offer an indirect story, and not quite a reflection attack, but a DDoS one.

We happen to have a host that had an IPMI board exposed to the net, that got compromised, and became a vector for a DDoS attack. The target reported the attack to at least some of the sources, including Windstream/Hosted Solutions, where this particular server is located. They contacted me, and I dealt with things with about a 1-hour turn-around from when a trouble ticket hit my inbox (well, still dealing with things - that IPMI card is offline until I get around to securing it, and it's the occasional reboot-by-phone-call until then). So at least one small success.

Miles Fidelman

McDonald Richards wrote:
Out of curiosity, have any of you had luck reporting the sources of attacks
to the admins of the origin ASNs?

Any failure or success stories you can share?

Macca

On Sat, Nov 8, 2014 at 6:20 PM, Paul Bennett <paul.w.bennett () gmail com>