nanog mailing list archives

Re: NAT IP and Google

From: Royce Williams <royce () techsolvency com>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2014 08:03:03 -0800

On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 7:26 AM, Derek Andrew <Derek.Andrew () usask ca> wrote:
As others have said, Google's abuse systems are smart enough to understand
NAT and proxies, and won't block on request volume alone.  When we
automatically apply a block, we'll generally offer a captcha to give
innocent users a workaround and limit the annoyance until the abuse stops
and the block can expire

This failed at our site. Our entire IPv4 and IPv6 addresse blocks received
captcha after captcha after captcha, forever and ever.

There was a link on the page to get more information, but all that got was
another captcha.

Normally I am 100% behind Google in everything, but sadly, this has now
fallen to 99.8%.

I've triggered Google's CAPTCHA multiple times at home, just from
rapidly adding and removing search terms, in a couple of different
tabs, after driving down a hundred results or so.

It's been a few months, but this used to happen to me pretty regularly
if I had drive deep to find something.

Royce