nanog mailing list archives

Re: US patent 5473599

From: Henning Brauer <hb-nanog () bsws de>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2014 12:25:39 +0200

* Eygene Ryabinkin <rea () grid kiae ru> [2014-05-08 11:12]:
Henning,
Thu, May 08, 2014 at 09:35:00AM +0200, Henning Brauer wrote:
* Blake Dunlap <ikiris () gmail com> [2014-05-08 03:19]:
Except for that whole mac address thing, that crashes networks...
this lie doesn't get any more true by repeating them over and over.
So, you insist that VRRP and CARP instances with the same VRID/VHID in
the same L2 segment will coexist peacefully?  I had seen problems with
such setup, so if you can enlighten me how to overcome them (rather
than saying "you must choose different VRID/VHID") -- it will be very
good.

you shouldn't see issues but log spam.

I haven't seen anotehr issue and I haven't seen a single report
claiming otherwise over the last 10 years either, minus the mentioned
cisco 3600 "don't bother checking the version number field before
parsing on" screwup.

--
Henning Brauer, hb () bsws de, henning () openbsd org
BS Web Services GmbH, AG Hamburg HRB 128289, http://bsws.de