nanog mailing list archives

Re: Credit to Digital Ocean for ipv6 offering

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2014 03:52:29 -0700

On Jun 18, 2014, at 4:37 PM, Daniel Ankers <md1clv () md1clv com> wrote:

On 18 June 2014 19:05, Owen DeLong <owen () delong com> wrote:
OTOH, it's far better than those ridiculous providers that are screwing over their customers with /56s or even worse,
/60s.

Sad, really.

Owen

Is giving a /56 to residential customers REALLY "screwing them over"?

It may be a failure of imagination on my part, but I'm struggling to come up with use cases for the home which would
take up even 10% of the networks available in a /56.  And if the vast, vast majority of home users will never come
close to needing the whole of a /56 then I don't see why every home should be given a /48.

Dan

Yes… It’s not about the number of subnets, it’s about having enough bits wide to automate a hierarchy. 8 bits only
allows 1x8 or 2x4, while 16 bits allows significantly more flexibility in topology.

Owen