nanog mailing list archives

Re: Credit to Digital Ocean for ipv6 offering

From: Daniel Ankers <md1clv () md1clv com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2014 19:02:45 +0100

On 19 June 2014 13:18, STARNES, CURTIS <Curtis.Starnes () granburyisd org>
wrote:

I have to agree with Dan on this one,
Look at the numbers (especially for small to mid-sized business and
residential):

/56 = 256 /64's subnets
/60 = 16 /64's subnets

http://www.sixscape.com/joomla/sixscape/index.php/ipv6-training-certification/ipv6-forum-official-certification/ipv6-forum-network-engineer-silver/network-engineer-silver-ipv6-subnetting/ipv6-subnetting-general-subnetting

At 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 per /64, that is a lot of address.
Right now I cannot get IPv6 at home so I will take getting "screwed" with
a /56 or /60 and be estatic about it.

Curtis

One of the key things with IPv6 (IMHO) is to stop thinking about addresses,
and instead just think about networks.  Judging by Owen's earlier mail I
may not have that quite right and the key might even be to think about
hierarchies - in either case counting the number of individual addresses is
something we just don't need to do any more.

Dan